Every E-Class Saloon model has individual aerodynamics and energy management measures in order to achieve the greatest possible level of environmental compatibility.
One of its components is the BlueEFFICIENCY concept, which is applied in eight E-Class Saloon models – both petrol and diesel-powered. This is not just about a vision of a cleaner environment: BlueEFFICIENCY encompasses a whole range of concrete measures:
- Engine optimisation strategies such as direct injection, turbocharging and the trend towards efficient 4-cylinder models
- requirements-based control of the ECO power-steering pump, a controlled fuel pump and air-conditioning compressor; alternator deactivated in overrun mode
- ECO start/stop function (in the E 200 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY)
- aerodynamic optimisation thanks to radiator shutter (for 4-cylinder models and E 350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY)
- shift point indicator for all models with manual transmission
- tyres with low rolling resistance (for models with 16 and 17 inch tyres)
The objective of these technologies is to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions – compliance with the future EU5 emissions standard is already guaranteed.
The E 350 BlueTEC model is a further highlight of innovative environmental protection measures: it is the cleanest diesel in its segment; in it an additional catalytic converter reduces nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 80 percent. The EU6 exhaust gas emissions standard, to come into force in 2014 is met already today with BlueTEC technology.